Wednesday, February 2, 2011

No Shelter


A poem written in response to the suffering of the homeless in Gresham. Written by someone in the broader Anawim community.

‎"No Shelter" Leanne Tipton

Its been freezing outside for two days now,
The wind is screaming with all of its might.
The cold seeps through the cracks as I lie in my room.
I've not slept one hour tonight.

I toss, I turn, my thoughts filled with you.
You have no shelter, no heat, no pillow, no bed.
I pray, I worry, I get up, pace the floor.
But I can't get you out of my head.

There are so many people praying for you,
that justice and fairness will win.
To turn ones back on the poor and the outcast
Is truly one of the worst of the sins.

I cannot imagine being outside in this,
Its so cold right here in my home.
Though you're there and I'm here
Please try to remember,
You never are truly alone.

I pray through my tears I will see you again.
I pray for your safety while we are apart.
I pray for your health, but most of all
I pray for protection from cold weather and cold hearts.

No comments: